1st XV vs Redruth at away

  • Competition: National League 2 South 2016/17
  • Squad: 1st XV
  • Date: Saturday 5th of November 2016 15:00
  • Final Score: 34 - 26

Match Report

                                            REDRUTH  26  CANTERBURY 34

This wasn’t just a victory, it was a small piece of history in the making as Canterbury won at Redruth for first time and in the process demolished the Cornish side’s unbeaten home record this season.
They achieved it through pace, opportunism and a mighty forward effort, rocking the home side with a withering opening blast, containing a threatening fight back then regaining the lead and taking control of the vital late stages.
Five tries and accurate goal kicking by Tom Best brought the city side a bonus point win against a side who, until this defeat, were in the lleague’s top three.
Canterbury set about erasing the memories of those past humiliations in the best possible way, scoring 21 points in the first ten minutes as Redruth’s defence was shredded three times.
J J Murray’s break did the initial damage before Aiden Moss cantered over for the first try and two more quickly followed. Best was on the scene to retrieve possession from a hanging kick by Dan Smart and recycled ball provided Tyler Edwards with a huge overlap. A minute later the city club repeated the dose, their sharpness creating space for Guy Hilton to grab the third try.  Best coolly converted them all.  Redruth, shaken but too experienced to panic over the early set backs, then slowly played  themselves back into contention.  Pressure brought penalties, a catch and drive score for lock Sean Buzza and as Canterbury went through a nervous spell wing Lewis Vinnicombe’s clever running made turned over ball into a try which Angus Taylor converted.  
The city club got over that and with their set piece always a rock went looking for a bonus point try before half time.  In the face of solid defending they had to settle for a Best penalty goal and knew that a twelve point lead was not the best insurance when playing against a cold wind.
They blew a chance immediately after the break and soon paid a heavy price when the Redruth pack camped on the city line and the pick and go route saw Buzza cross for his second try. The momentum swung further to the home side when they broke from deep for Buzza to complete his hat trick and Taylor’s third conversion robbed Canterbury of the lead.
With the game well into the final quarter it was now a test of the city club's will and they responded magnificently,  Redruth were still proving difficult to crack but a piece of opportunism changed the course of history. The Cornishmen attacked dangerously, but Guy Hilton read the final pass and his interception and 70 metre run to the line turned the game again.  Best hit the post with the conversion attempt but the city club wre not finished.. Aggressive scrummaging won a penalty which was kicked to the corner and the backs piled in to sustain a surging catch and drive. When they wrestled it over the line Best was at the bottom to touch down and make it a day remember.
Canterbury:  A.Moss (repl H.Sayers), G.Hilton, J J Murray,W.Farris, M.Beaumont, T.Best, D.Smart (repl K.Braithwaite), J.Green (repl A.Cooper), T.Rogers (repl C.Townley), S.Kenny, T.Burns, L.Woodbridge (repl V.Meredith), T.Edwards, S.Rogers, H.McCormick-Huston.  

David Haigh

«  1st XV • National League 2 South 2017/18  »

# Team Pld Pts
1 Cinderford 30 143
2 Chinnor 30 131
3 Redingensians 30 112
4 Taunton Titans 30 101
5 Redruth 30 89
6 Tonbridge Juddians 30 86
7 Worthing 30 81
8 Bury St Edmunds 30 77
9 Henley 30 73
10 Canterbury 30 72
11 Clifton 30 63
12 Old Redcliffians 30 58
13 London Irish Wild Geese 30 57
14 Barnstaple 30 55
15 Wimbledon 30 50
16 Broadstreet 30 35