1st XV vs Chinnor at away

  • Competition: National League 2 South 2016/17
  • Squad: 1st XV
  • Date: Saturday 11th of March 2017 15:00
  • Final Score: 19 - 47

Match Report

                                                   CHINNOR 47  CANTERBURY 19

                                                           by Chris Fullbrook

Canterbury always knew that this encounter with high-flying Chinnor would be tough, having narrowly defeated the title contenders at the Marine Travel Ground back in November. Unfortunately since that time injuries have taken their toll on the Canterbury backs with players stepping up from the Pilgrims to shore up the defence.  It was this defence that was a positive factor for the city side who stood firm to upset and frustrate a physical  home team who have benefited from key additions to their playing strength since that last meeting. Canterbury had to defend their lines during the opening quarter and any early relief from Chinnor pressure was often squandered by mistakes. However it was the city club who opened the scoring with a break from defence by Jonathan Jones and an offload  to scrum half Kyan Braithwaite who in turn released Kieran Thompson for a try converted by Tom Best. A reply came minutes later with Chinnor capitalising on a strong run from winger Henry Lamont. He was bundled into touch but a lineout that went wrong and a Chinnor scrum saw their Number Eight Alastair Bone crash over from the base. Lamont, with a clever run, set up Luke Peters who put his side ahead on 22 minutes with a try converted by Jon Bentley and it was a lead they never lost.  Canterbury had their chances but before half time prop Jay Tyak had bullocked over and Bentley’s conversion made it 19-7 at the break. Neither side fully took control in the early stages of the second half but a resilient city defence was eventually broken by centre Charles Broughton’s try. With Tom Best injured in this passage of play and having lost Guy Hilton midway through the first half the Canterbury back line was re-shuffled with Jamie Dowkes making his debut. Despite the enforced changes it wasn’t until the final quarter that the home side cemented the win with further tries from Dan Barnes and the experienced Bentley during a period when Canterbury’s Jimmy Green was sin binned for a technical offence. When  they were restored to full numbers their never say die attitude saw replacement Glynn Edwards cross from a catch and drive line out, converted by Will Hilton. A further converted Chinnor try ended the home side’s scoring account but it was Canterbury back row man Max Cantwell who had the last word. He collected a deft chip kick  to cross the Chinnor line but an elusive, bonus point fourth try eluded a city side who were far from outclassed.
Canterbury: J.Jones, G.Hilton (repl W.Hilton), F.Morgan, W.Farris, (repl L.Woodbridge),K.Thompson,  (rep S.Rogers), T.Best (repl J.Dowkes), K.Braithwaite, A.Cooper, C.Townley, S.Keny, L.Woodbridge (rep G.Edwards), R.Cadman, M.Cantwell, S.Rogers (repl H.MccOrmick-Houston), G.Micans

«  1st XV • National League 2 South 2017/18  »

# Team Pld Pts
1 Chinnor 15 71
2 Cinderford 15 70
3 Redingensians 15 57
4 Taunton Titans 15 53
5 Henley 15 48
6 Redruth 15 45
7 Bury St Edmunds 15 44
8 Canterbury 15 44
9 Worthing 15 41
10 Tonbridge Juddians 15 37
11 Barnstaple 15 35
12 London Irish Wild Geese 15 32
13 Clifton 15 26
14 Old Redcliffians 15 17
15 Broadstreet 15 14
16 Wimbledon 15 9